Salary: £20,000.00 to £25,000.00 /year
Sous Chef / 2nd Chef – CSONS at The Green Cafe, Ludlow
Working closely with our Head Chef, this role involves assisting in the day to day management of the kitchen at the extremely busy and well known Green Cafe in Ludlow, Shropshire.
Our food is different; we use the best locally sourced produce and treat it with the respect it deserves by creating simple, unpretentious, globally inspired and exciting dishes that shout about the ingredients, reflect the seasons and are full of flavour.
As well as having input into the amazing, ever changing menu, you will be responsible for ensuring the quality and flavour of our dishes are consistently served to the high standards we are known for.
You will be also be expected to manage all aspects of food hygiene and cleanliness within the kitchen and lead and motivate the kitchen team.
At CSONS we expect our team to be flexible, extremely hard working and professional but we also believe that work should be fun and inclusive. The ideal candidate will be a well organised team player who genuinely loves food and local produce. Experience in a commercial kitchen environment and a strong knowledge of cooking techniques and styles goes without saying!
CSons 2nd / Sous Chef Responsibilities
- Work with head chef to deliver food to the standard required at CSons.
- Ensure that all dishes have accessible recipes that include serving quantities and any allergens are highlighted.
- Ensure the food preparation process is consistent and recipes are followed correctly. Making sure dishes are perfect every time.
- Work with head chef and management to construct menus with CSons ethos ‘locally sourced, globally inspired’ at the heart of any new creations.
- Ensure all prep and finished dishes are up to standard before they reach the customer.
- Deliver ordered food to the pass within expected industry time and to standard.
- Make sure customers are wowed by flavour and presentation.
- Ensure that FOH are informed and educated with regard to menu items and ingredients – with suitable notice for them to learn it.
- Cover any other duties and roles required in the head chefs absence.
Ordering and Stock control
- Work with head chef to manage stock, ensuring that food is not over prepped and prepped to serving quantities to ensure prep runs out at the end of a dish.
- Seek out new suppliers who’s quality and ethos matches our own.
- Manage ordering and prep to ensure there is little waste.
- Manage ordering of ingredients, ensuring that all ingredients necessary for the menu are ordered and sourced from approved suppliers.
- Set up and use order sheets to help control stock levels and show colleagues what is needed and when it will arrive.
Hygiene / Health & safety
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and adheres to the highest standards expected from the EHO
- Keep records, including all cleaning rotas, date labels, stock rotation and fridge temperature.
- Ensure all staff are up to date with their food hygiene certificates.
- Highlight CCPs to staff and show them on recipe sheets.
- Ensure all regular kitchen maintenance is carried out eg hoovering fridge fans, putting salt in the machines.
- Report any repairs when necessary and remedy any problems if achievable.
- Lead by example.
- Motivate & lead the kitchen team and install passion to deliver excellence.
- Communicate and work directly with management to ensure that staff morale is high. Communicate any staff issues with management as soon as they are raised.
- Be fully in charge of training kitchen staff.
- Oversee the work of subordinates and delegate responsibilities to the kitchen team.
- Foster a climate of cooperation and respect between co-workers within the Kitchen and with FOH.
- Positively promote CSons and be passionate about it.
- Photo’s & social media – post to company guidelines.
- Be aware of ingredient costs and ensure that company food margins are maintained.